HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Friday, February 7, 2014

Our Gray Guest Bedroom and a Full Source List


Although this room still isn't completely finished (we still need a rug and more artwork on the walls and above the bed) we have made quite a bit of progress in here over the last few weeks. One of the things we were most excited about when we found this house last summer was that it had four bedrooms. Because Lillie and Lola begged to continue sharing a room that meant we were going to have plenty of extra space for all of our family members who pretty regularly come to visit us. Up through Christmas this room was pretty dated and depressing looking. We really wanted both guest rooms  to feel welcoming so our family members would enjoy staying in here. We were able to get the other guest room well on it's way before Christmas but this one we didn't start working on until after Christmas. We've already had three rounds of guest come through just since we painted this room a few weeks ago. First my sister, Dana was here, then my mom, sister Jamie, and baby niece Everly were here and then my brother, Jason and his best friend, Jake just came for a day and a half earlier this week. Originally this room was also going to serve partly as a home office but once I started working on the other guest room this fall I realized the way that room is laid out it will actually work better as an office so this gray room will function just as a guest room and the room with the white beadboard wallpaper will act both as an office and a guest room once I get around to adding a desk and some other functional type pieces to the opposite side of the room from the bed.

I actually wasn't sure what direction I was going to go in for this bedroom. I originally thought about using navy as the main color in here and then for a while considered more of an aqua color and then I almost decided on going to a chocolate color similar to what we had done in Lorelei's nursery at our last house. Then we got an e-mail from Ballard Designs asking if we would be interested in any of their new bedding. Once I saw their new Audree Pom Pom Quilt and Shams I had my inspiration. I completely and totally fell in love with it. I loved all three colors it came in and was torn on which one to go with. Ultimately I thought the gray would work best with the furniture we were going to use in here and well, I love gray! I also loved the Jardin Toile Duvet and Euro Shams and they mixed so beautifully with the quilt.

After I chose my bedding it was time to get to work on transforming the room itself. The first thing I did was start priming and painting all the woodwork. I went with Benjamin Moore's Simply White in a semi-gloss finish and Mopboard Black for the doors, also in a semi-gloss finish. Then it was time to say good-bye to the "pink house wallpaper" (it was actually more of a faded maroon, but Lillie thought they looked pink and was quite sad that we were getting rid of them). In the rest of the house we had the wallpaper removed before I started painting, but in here I decided to just paint right over it. For the walls I chose Benjamin Moore's Graystone in a Matte Finish. I used their Aura line of paint because it has a built-in primer. I had done this before in our first house years ago and was very happy with the results. This time I cut a few corners and have to admit I wish I hadn't. In our first house I coated the walls first with at least one (or actually I think even two coats) of Kilz Primer. I skipped that step in here but if I were to do it again I would not skip it. 

Then it was time to bring in the furniture. We already owned most of the furniture in here from our last house (the bed, the mirrored dresser, and the silver chest). We did purchase the chair, mirrors and chandelier for this room though. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, we still need to add a rug and some more artwork on the walls, but it sure is a big improvement from the beginning on January when we started working on it! 
























Source List:

Wall Color - Graystone by BM in Matte Finish
Trim Color - Simply White by BM in Semi-Gloss
Door Color - Mopboard Black by BM in Semi-Gloss 
Bed - Skyline Furniture about five years ago
Mirrored Dresser - Haynes Furniture about five years ago
Silver Chest - TJMaxx about five years ago
Lamp - Aiden Gray on clearance about 7 years ago
SheetsAmelia Embroidered Sheet Set from Ballard Designs
Duvet Cover and Euro Shams - Jardin Toile from Ballard Designs
Quilt and Standard Shams - Audree Pom Pom from Ballard Designs
Two Square Pillows - Home Goods
White Framed Mirror - Savvy in Williamsburg, VA
Tall Mirror - Home Goods
Urn - Had for Years
Metal Sphere - Home Goods
Chalkboard Print - Written by myself and sold in our shop here
Frame - World Market
Smaller Frame - Home Goods
Chair - on clearance at The Loft Outlet in Williamsburg 
Knit Pillow - Joss and Main 
Geometric Pillow - Target 
Drapery Panels - Ritva Panels from IKEA
Curtain Rods - Home Depot
Lamp Shade - World Market
Horse Bookends - Savvy in Williamsburg, VA
Chandelier - Restoration Hardware Baby and Child


I hope you all have a fabulous weekend! 



63 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a beautiful transformation! The color palette is restful and sophisticated, and the mirrored elements really add sparkle. Your guests are lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, this is such a beautiful room and such an amazing transformation. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jennifer,
    that looks great!! I wonna be a guest in your house!
    With love, Sabina

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
    I was just telling my mom about that photo frame from World Market - and I really LOVE the white framed mirror..: )
    Leah: )

    ReplyDelete
  5. simply gorgeous. you are so kind to list your sources too!
    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhh me encanta como te ha quedado. es precioso¡¡

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to believe this is simply a GUEST bedroom... it is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazingly gorgeous. I love your talent for seeing what's possible in a room! I've loved seeing your home transform!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So soothing and pretty! I love the shot of the horse bookends. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Gray and white is one of my favorites for my home decor as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gray and white is one of my favorite color combination for my rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what a gorgeous guest room! You have such a great eye for pulling a room together. The bedding is beautiful, love the little fluffy ball trim.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply beautiful, as always! :) I was wondering where you got the small round silver frame from on the nightstand? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! It was a gift from my sister about 5 years back, so I'm not sure where it is from.

      Delete
  14. Jennifer, where is savvy...I am in Gloucester and not sure of this store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on Quarterpath Rd in Williamsburg--right off 199. I love it!

      Delete
  15. Also, I see you use those curtains from ikea...I have white from pottery barn and boy do the wrinkle...how do yours perform?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have held up well so far! My sisters and mom have used them as well and been very pleased.

      Delete
  16. Simply awesome well decorated guest room.You have such a great eye for pulling a room together.Thank you for sharing this nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutey beautiful room Jennifer! The bedding is lovely. What a wonderful space for a guest to stay. I'd never want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good heavens, what a difference! Your guests are never going to want to leave :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jennifer, you are not going to believe this..but my mom has this exact wallpaper and border in her guest bedroom. I really hate it. :0) I will have to show her what you did over it..this is gorgeous! Love your style..so clean and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful as always! I have a question for you... The window to the left of the bed is so close to the wall. Mine windows are like that also. I was wondering how you got the curtain so close the edge and do you have a finial only on the one end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a little tricky getting it to work so close to the wall, so we just only used the finial on the right end.

      Delete
  21. I love love the room, love the color and everything about it...I would however take the frame with the wording away from the mirror, the mirror is so pretty and it blocks it...a rug in a gray and white geometric design at the foot of the bed with the end of the bed on it...then a upolstered bench at end of bed with a throw...Can I come and stay...I would probably stay way too long if I got to be in this chic charming room...wow what a difference....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Incredible! And the bedding IS beautiful! I really like the tall mirror too... It's pretty and it's always so nice to have a full length mirror in the bedroom...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. So pretty and inviting... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jennifer, I absolutely love everything here. Ballard Designs is one of my favorite catalog stores. My daughter would want to hop on a plane to VA if she saw those bookends, she LOVES horses:). You keep showing us rooms like this you may have a line at your door waiting for the B&B to open!

    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just the post I have been waiting for! I love the headboard and chair - what I wouldnt give for these delicious stores you shop at to be in California :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful room! Did you order the Jardin Toile bedding in gray? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello, did you use grey or sandalwood duvet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paige! We went with gray. You can find that information along with a link in the post above!

      Delete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Couple of questions! Is the bed frame white or ivory? The other side of the gray quilt, white or Ivory? And the frame mirror, white or ivory? Sorry for so many questions, Hard to tell in the pictures if they are white or off-white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The bed and mirror are both white (with an off-white quilt), and the mirror is pretty distressed.

      Delete
  30. I am going to redo the master bedroom in this color Graystone. I Love it!! Q: Can you help me locate the curtains or did you buy them locally?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can you give me some info on the flooring?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Where did you find the bench in front of the bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! There isn't a bench in this room, but the one you might be referring to is one we made.

      Delete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Is the chair from The Loft Outlet (the women's clothing store?) or is this a furniture store in Williamsburg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandy! It's a furniture outlet on Richmond Road in Williamsburg.

      Delete
    2. Do you happen to know the name brand of the chair?

      Delete
  35. I noticed in a later photo on Pinterest you found a great rug to go in the room. Where was that purchased please?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Jennifer! What an incredible room (and home!) filled with so many beautiful touches. Could you please tell me what color the headboard/bed frame is? I was able to find a similar version (also from Skyline Furniture), but am having difficulty differentiating whether it is white or more of an off white. Thanks! :)

    -Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Jennifer!

    What an incredible home filled with so many beautiful touches. Could you please tell me what color the headboard/bed frame is? I was able to find a similar version (also from Skyline Furniture), but am having difficulty differentiating whether it is white or more of an off white (color options are Parchment and Pearl). Thanks!

    -Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much, Kristina! It is called White Duck. It is a true white, but we've had it for about 7 years so they may no longer carry it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What is the height of your ceilings? I love the ikea curtains but it seems they are too long for my 8ft ceilings:(

    ReplyDelete
  40. It looks beautiful and very relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Absolutely brilliant, love the calming colors, I will pack my bag and head over for the weekend...haaa..haaa....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...